Friday, November 7, 2008

Got my dancin shoes on


Every day I am told the rain will stop for a while, and every day it begins anew. My last 2 line entry was rather negative toward the rain. I did not mean it to be. I really like it. The valley where I live, although always beautiful, every day more resembles a bit of Paradise. I did not think it was possible for the landscape to become more green, more lush. It is. It has begun to yield terrific quantities of delicious mangos, bananas, avocados, and papayas. I am psyched.

One quick anecdote before I take off. I have begun teaching ballet classes to the 6 and 7 year old girls in town. Last week we held our first formal class in an empty room in the escuela. The girls all met at my house first, where they waited while I gathered up my music and water bottle. Unfortunately, I forgot to gather up a belt for my loose pants. About 10 minutes into class, (I think we had just finished with plies), I yanked my pants up higher on my waist and continued demonstrating the next combination of steps. To my amusement, every girl in the class (about 11 little girls) yanked up their pants as well. I chuckled to myself and continued on with the combination. Ten minutes later, as I was demonstrating another movement, I was impelled to push my glasses up on my nose. Every single girl pretended to adjust a pair of imaginary glasses. This was just weird. Turns out my host mom had had a talk with them about being attentive and following my every move during class so that they could learn to be beautiful ballerinas. Must have sunk in.

While I realize teaching ballet is not going to save my community from its poverty or develop the girls into prima-ballerinas, it has thus far been a beautiful experience. One of the focuses of Peace Corps is cross-cultural exchange, and ballet for me is what I have to offer. As dance is such an integral part of cultures across the globe, I think it is appropriate.

After our class got out that first day, the girls began to whisper amongst themselves. When I asked what was up, they timidly approached me and said ¨senorita patty, do you know how to dance huayno? We would like to teach you a Peruvian dance next time.¨ I really liked that.

(Huayno is a local folkloric dance)

No comments: