Friday, July 17, 2009

Some Quick updates..

I have been busy this past month.  I ran a half marathon in Pacasmayo, traveled to Lima to take care of some funky skin disease that's been plaguing me, worked at a girl's leadership camp, and had a week-long training session with the newly arrived volunteers (10 trainees, 2 trainers, and 4 volunteers all came to my site).

Running the half marathon was...interesting.  I have never been much of a runner so motivating myself to train for a 13-miler took a lot of discipline.  It was difficult to run in site because of all the dogs, the hot sun, and the altitude.  Fortunately on race day I didn't die and crossed the finish line still running, albeit slowly but running nevertheless--slow and steady wins the race (I didn't actually win, but completing the 13 miles without walking was a personal victory).

The new trainees are amazingggg.  Their sites will be announced next week and I cannot wait to find out who will be placed in Cajamarca.  I know they will all make fantastic volunteers.

Back in training I wrote a blog entry about how much I hate Lima.  That is no longer the case.  It has many charms and is slowly growing on me.  I have 5 days of vacation coming up at the end of the month for independence day and I plan to spend them exploring Lima with my friend Kat.


Kat and I celebrating the end of the Marathon

Kids from the preschool dancing for the dia del maestro

My girls at Camp ALMA, the 3 day leadership camp for adolescent girls that we held in Cajamarca

No comments: